There are similarities and differences between advertising and public relations. This is to help you understand what advertising has to do with it and what public relations revolves around.
SIMILARITIES BETWEEN ADVERTISING AND PUBLIC RELATIONS
Advertising and public relations are both marketing tools that are used to facilitate the promotion and sales of goods and services as well as maintaining mutual understanding with the public. They are both one of the seven elements of service marketing.
BRIEF DIFFERENCES BETWEEN ADVERTISING AND PUBLIC RELATIONS
The major differences between the two is that advertising deals with talking about the business or promoting business while public relations deals with Building and maintaining mutual understanding between the company and its various public or environment.
DEFINITION OF ADVERTISING AND ADVERTISING AGENCY
There are so many definitions to advertising but advertising can simply be defined as a paid form of communication that deals with the introduction and Promotion of goods and services in order to draw the attention of the people. The advertiser gets paid by the company or product owners for them to create awareness and patronage in the environment.
Every goods and services company needs an advertising agency.
The advertising agency simply refers to a marketing services firm that helps its clients in planning preparing implementing and evaluating various activities of an advertising campaign. In other words the advertising agency handles the advertising for the client from the beginning of the planning to the execution of the planning in order to get good results.
The basic and key points of what an advertising agency does for a CLIENT is as follows;
- Preparing; this has to do with making research and finding out about a product that is up for advertisement, there are so many things to consider in this stage which involves identifying the product and the benefits of the product to the target audience.
- Planning; this has to do with drafting the budget personnel and equipment needed for the advertising campaign or anything that has to do with the success of the advertising campaign. It simply deals with identifying the needed requirements.
- Execution; this deals with determining the medium through which the advertising campaign will be disseminated or broadcasted to large number of people. It can be true television, radio, newspapers, electronic billboards or even on the internet. It can be anywhere as far as the mass media is involved
SOME REASONS WHY ADVERTISING AGENCIES LOSE CLIENTS
- Due to change in company policies
- It is due to lack of integrated
- marketing capabilities by the advertising agencies
- Because of their poor communication strategies
- Change in personnel
- Because of poor services all performances
- Due to disagreements or arguments over creative strategies brought by the clients
- Because of Lack of packaging and social media presence
- Due to personality conflicts
WHO IS A CLIENT?
A client simply Be fast to individuals or organisations as well as institutions that want to carry out an advertising campaign.
The clients needs the advertising agency to carry out an advertising campaign and before that and advertising brief must be prepared.
WHAT IS AN ADVERTISING BRIEF?
It is a written or oral presentation that is made by an advertiser to an advertising agency that introduces the idea all the product to the agency explaining to them what it does and who it is for.
Advertising brief simply refers to a document that contains information about a particular product or products, the target market of the product, futures and benefits of the product, Market competitors as well as the main objectives of the advertising campaigns.
DEFINATION OF PUBLIC RELATIONS AND PUBLIC RELATIONS CONSULTANCY
Public relation refers to the process by which an organisation tries to create Goodwill and maintain mutual understanding between the organisation and the publics or it’s environment.
Public relations basically deals with creating bonds or relationship between companies and the publics or organisations and publics.
The aforementioned publics is referring to; the community, employees, users or consumers, distributors, the media, suppliers of materials and services, potential employees (People that are yet to be employed), The opinion leaders (who give companies advice on the right thing to do) and many others…
TYPES OF PUBLIC RELATIONS
There are three public relations firm which are as follows;
- Full service PR firm
- Specialised PR firm
- In house Public Relations firm
FULL SERVICE PUBLIC RELATION FIRM
This refers to a public relations firm that provides a comprehensive menu of services including public affairs, crisis management, Media relations, investors relationship and many others…
SPECIALISED PUBLIC RELATION FIRM
This refers to the public relations firm that have specialty in particular area or aspect of public relations services, such as; handling Media relations, crisis management or sales promotions. They are known for handling a particular service in public relations affairs.
IN-HOUSE PUBLIC RELATIONS FIRM
As the name implies, in house. This public relation firm has to do with setting up a department within an organisation to manage its public relation activities the career of public relation functions for the organisations.
This firm involves; The board of directors, (BOD), the chief executive officer (CEO), the general manager, the manager and others…
PUBLIC RELATIONS CONSULTANCY
Public relation consultancy simply has to do with an individual or group of individuals in an organisation that are having the experience, training or skills in public relation affairs. The offer technical and creative services when it comes to public relation and they are legally registered to carry out business without any limitation.
A public relation consultant must have the following qualities;
- To be registered and have registration certificate
- Must have experience skills and must be trained on public relation issues
- Must be good technically and must be creative in terms of rendering public relations services
- Ability to work under pressure and adapt to any environment
- He or she must be good with managing the media
- Must have good marketing relations
- A public relation consultant must be able to track record of achievement
With this article you can differentiate and give highlights on what advertising and public relations is, there are so many things relating to this topic but these are the basic things you should know about public relations and advertising.